Wednesday 29 August 2012

Week 6 - 28th August. Political Activism


Post 1)
Local Member for South Brisbane: Jackie Trad (ALP)
State representative of Queensland:  Sue Boyce (LP)
Federal Representative Queensland: Premier Campbell Newman (LP)

When will the NBN reach your area? The NBN will reach the area of South Brisbane in December 2013 and finish work in March 2015.
What are the benefits of the NBN?
The benefits of having the NBN would be higher connectivity and internet access in my area.
http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

E – Petitions:
You can find a variety of current and close online E-Petitions at this government website: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petitions
I recently signed the ‘Saving Koala’s” E-Petition, because I feel it is important to protect and support the native wildlife of Australia. Signature number #9340104.
What are the Australian Government's plans to censor the internet (the so-called "Clean Feed")?
The government and the current communications Minister Conroy are pushing for an internet filtering system that has the potential to block out 1000-10,000 URLS. The system is argued by critics to be a waste of tens and millions of tax payer dollars if this ‘clean feed’ filtering system was to be approved. Although its key purpose would be to protect children from inappropriate material and predators, it is argued by critics that regardless of ‘clean feed’, predators and hackers will still have access to them.
You can learn more about this issue at: http://nocleanfeed.com/learn.html
Or subscribe and contribute to the Blog at: https://www.efa.org.au/category/censorship/mandatory-isp-filtering/
Post 2) Cyberpolitics and E-Democracy:
Week six has been an interesting and insightful one. I found the tutorial and discussion questions pretty intriguing as I have never thought about my role in regards to e-petitions and writing to my local member. I didn’t know too much about my local members and what they represent and what they stand for. It was pretty unnerving that I actually couldn’t answer any of the questions without a goog-ling them, even though I do watch the news regularly. It made me reflect and think about how many political issues that never make the mainstream news. It made me glad to gain this information as it has made me more focused and aware on things that I thought a low level civilian like me had no say in, that I can actually have a say in issues and voice my opinions via the internet. I think it’s interesting how the internet and connectivity and even social media can change and serve as a platform for political activism.

No comments:

Post a Comment